and welcome to this instruction to add random generated Dungeons in your RPG Maker project. As using this plugin is not plug and play as most other plugins out there, I recommend you to read every step carefully. I also recommend you to open my Demo project in the Maker when steps are unclear.
This Plugin works for both, MV and MZ.
Right now there are no required Plugins.
Step 1: Import Plugin
Go into your Plugin Manager and import MK_RandomGenerate_Dungeon.
Step 2: Snippets
The idea of this plugin is to pre-define snippets and decoration layers which this plugin will randomly connect to create appealing dungeons to explore. A snippet is a fundamental base element of the resulting maze, in detail: straights, curves, dead-ends, T-forks and one crossing.
- We decide the size of all the snippets, let’s use 7 for both width and height.
- We create a map called „Snippets„. This plugin organizes some maps by their names, so you cannot use another name here. This map has a width of
(4 * snippet's width) + 5
and height respectively, in our case that would be 33 for both, width and height.
- Draw snippets as shown in the picture below.
The technique the plugin uses is pretty straight-forward: It is pre-defined which element (straight, curve, fork, …) is on which place, that means to get a logical map you must stick with this arrangement.
However, you are free to draw whatever you wish. For example, it is not required for the blank tile to be completely black. For example, when you design a forest, it could be nice to use grass here, even passable for the player.
- The yellow sand is to help you framing your snippets. You can use any tile here; just pick one with a high contrast.
- This plugin uses functions to fix autotiles, so you don’t have to worry about them.
- Same goes for shadows, they will be automatically erased when the map is generated.
- You maybe wondered if the map will later look clipped or repetetiv, so you can repeat step 3 and make another map with snippets.
Important: Name alternative maps „Snippets2„, „Snippets3„, and so on. This plugin then will randomly choose from all your maps to reach more variety.
- Decide for the size of the generated dungeon, ie. how many snippets are there for any column and line, let’s use 6 for both.
- Create a Map called „Space“ with the width of
snippet's width * columns + 2
and height respectively, in our case that would be 44 for both. Use the same tileset as in the snippets map. Keep this map black.