|License||free & paid version|
|Supported Engines||RPG Maker MV* & MZ|
* Please read: Limitations when using RPG Maker MV
This Minimap was designed by analyzing and replicating the RPG Maker’s code to automatically draw the map with its terrain on the UI.
- The player, vehicles, and every event can be rendered as Icon, Picture, Dot, Square, or their Sprite. Useful to highlight important NPCs or points of interest.
Followers are not displayed.
- Players, vehicles, and events can blink on the Minimap.
- Background: You can choose from „Window,“ „Picture,“ or no background
- Foreground: You may set a Picture as a custom foreground
- Position and Sizes: Can be individualized
- Fog of War. The fog of war is persisted in the game saves. It can be enabled/disabled for every map individually.
- Vehicles and selected Events can break through the fog of war, making them visible even when the player hasn’t discovered their location yet.
This window replaces the RPG Maker’s default map name window (optional).
- The Minimap can be expanded to fullscreen and collapsed by pressing a hotkey or by clicking on the Minimap itself.
- The Minimap can be shown or hidden anytime, e. g. when starting a cutscene.
- The player may disable the Minimap in the options menu.
Lite Version & Standard Version
There exist two versions.
The Lite version comes with the bare minimum and is available for free. You may include this version in any kind of game, both free and commercial.
The Standard version comes with all the features described on this page.
|Display the Minimap||✓||✓|
|Set Minimap Position, Width & Height||✓||✓|
|Hide Minimap via Notetags, Commands, etc.||✓||✓|
|Enable/disable the Minimap in the Options Menu||✓||✓|
|Render Options for the Player, Vehicles, and Events||Sprite only||Sprite, Icon, Picture, Square, Dot, hidden|
|Minimap Background||Window, none||Window, Picture, none|
|Minimap Map Parallax||✓|
|Expand and collapse Minimap||✓|
|Fog of War||✓|
|Map Name Window||✓|
Limitations when using RPG Maker MV
Some features are not (yet) supported when using RPG Maker MV:
- The Minimap will not expand nor collapse when clicking on it via mouse or touch device. It will work by pressing the hotkey on the keyboard, though.
Use this plugin parameter to define whether the Minimap is shown by default or not.
As already explained in the editor, you can situationally show or hide the Minimap.
The player may decide to disable the Minimap in the Options Menu.
You can use these notetags on Maps to override the default value.
Not show Minimap
You can use plugin commands to situationally show/hide the Minimap.
You, as the game dev, can force the Minimap to show regardless of the player’s setting in the Options Menu. „Force show“ is either enabled or disabled – It is a simple yes-or-no feature.
Only some plugin parameters are described in this section.
Background 🠖 Design
You can set a custom foreground. Examples:
New Map Name Window 🠖 Design
You can choose from these designs for the map name window:
This plugin uses Templates to define how Events should be rendered on the Minimap. Go into the Plugin Manager –> Event Templates to view and manage Templates.
MZ: Apply Template to an Event
To apply a Template to an Event:
- Open the particular Event
- On the Event command list, add a Plugin Command.
- In this Plugin command, select „(Event Command) Displaying“ and choose a Template.
Note: Only the active Event Page is scanned for this Plugin Command.
MV: Apply Template to an Event
To apply a Template to an Event:
- Open the particular Event.
- On the Event command list, add a comment.
- In this comment, write:
<Minimap Event: X>, whereas X is the Template’s name.
<Minimap Event: blinking>to make this Event blink on the Minimap.
Note: Only the active Event page is scanned for this Tag.
Those Templates have been pre-made for you, but you can add your own, of course.
<Minimap Event: Monster> <Minimap Event: Portal> <Minimap Event: Weapon Smith> <Minimap Event: Armor Shop> <Minimap Event: Item Shop> <Minimap Event: Inn> <Minimap Event: Chest> <Minimap Event: Harvestable> <Minimap Event: Ore> <Minimap Event: blinking> <Minimap Event: hidden>
The following notetags can be applied on maps:
Shows the Minimap on this map
Hides the Minimap on this map
The following notetags can be applied on maps and either enable or disable a certain feature:
<Minimap Parallax> <Minimap No Parallax> <Minimap Fog of War> <Minimap No Fog of War>
Event Notetags (MV)
Event Notetags need to be put as comments into the Event command list. Only comments listed on the active page are scanned.
<Minimap Event: X>
This Event will use the given Template X to be rendered on the Minimap.
MK.Minimap.isVisible() - returns true if the minimap is visible, false otherwise
MK.Minimap.show() - Shows the minimap - Remains until the next Map Transfer
MK.Minimap.hide() - Hides the minimap - Remains until the next Map Transfer
MK.Minimap.toggle() - Swaps between Map is visible/hidden
When enabled, the Minimap is shown regardless of the player’s setting in the Options Menu or any map notetag. Useful for cutscenes.
MK.Minimap.forceShow(true) - Enable "force show" - Remains until it is disabled by MK.Minimap.forceShow(false) MK.Minimap.forceShow(false)
MK.Minimap.forceShow(false) - Disable "force show"
const b = ConfigManager.showMinimap // true if the Minimap is enabled in the Options Menu, // false otherwise ConfigManager.showMinimap = true // Enable Minimap in the Options Menu ConfigManager.hideMinimap = false // Disable Minimap in the Options Menu ConfigManager.showMinimap = !ConfigManager.showMinimap // toggle
Not available in the Lite version.
MK.Minimap.isExpanded() - returns true if the minimap is expanded, false otherwise MK.Minimap.expand() - expands the minimap MK.Minimap.collapse() - collapses the minimap MK.Minimap.toggleExpand() - swaps between being expanded/collapsed
Fog of War
Not available in the Lite version
MK.Minimap.fogOfWar.isDiscovered(x, y) - returns true if the player has discovered the tile on position x, y MK.Minimap.fogOfWar.isCovered(x, y) - returns true if the player has not yet discovered the tile on position x, y MK.Minimap.fogOfWar.reveilMap() - resolves the fog of war on this map MK.Minimap.fogOfWar.unreveilMap() - reestablishes the fog of war on this map MK.Minimap.fogOfWar.forceRefresh() - refreshes the fog of war
When using Visustella Options Core, the Minimap may not appear automatically. Please follow these steps:
- Open VS OptionsCore in the Plugin Manager
- Go to Options Categories
- Click on any list item (I suggest „UI“), then go to „Options List“
- Add a new item to the list
- Into the „Symbol“ field, type
- In „STR: Text“ field, type something like „Show Minimap“
- Into the „Symbol“ field, type
- Close all dialogs and save your project
Will this Plugin work with other Plugins, such as Visustella, Yanfly, …?
This plugin has been carefully designed to not cause problems with other plugins.
Modifications on the map’s appearance made by other plugins (e.g., Doodads, TileD, GALV Layer), however, may not be reflected in the minimap.
Is a free trial available?
This Plugin does not work as expected – Is a refund possible?
A refund is possible if you encounter an error or incompatibility that we cannot resolve.
Please send a message to